At long last the issues with Aperture have settled down and the app is behaving normally. I read periodically on forums that users are still unsure of the viability of installing 3.1. The only caution I would mention is just be aware that once your libraries are updated you cannot revert to a previos version of Aperture, it’s a one way street, and if you get stuck, heaven help you. Having said that the 3.1.1 update has it’s merits and is worth the effort. Although in the interim when Aperture was down I discovered that Lightroom is no lightweight and is a serious contender. Apple beware, Adobe are doing their homework.
The update solution and now obviously the crash solution are posted here for reference.
The following actually works in terms of allowing an install of the 3.1.1 update for Aperture, where the update is downloaded from Aperture support.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Drag the Aperture application to the Trash.
- Open the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
- Open the Terminal application.
- On the command line, type the below command (which is case-sensitive) and then press Return: (or copy and paste)
sudo pkgutil --forget com.apple.pkg.Aperture
- When prompted, enter your user password and press Return.
- Insert your Aperture disc and install Aperture.
Then run the update installer package,
Have yet to find a solution for Aperture crashing on opening…..have done everything possible.